We would like to invite you to participate in Boston’s Open Streets, Open Parks event, coming to Huntington Avenue on July 14, 2013 from 11am-4pm. Circle The City is a collaborative project that provides a way for Boston neighbors like you to get out, be active together, and connect to our parks. Come out to walk, bike, push a stroller, skate, play and dance on safe, car-free streets!
Street Closure 11am-4pm*: On Sunday, July 14th, all car traffic will be suspended from 11am to 4pm on the OUTBOUND side of Huntington Ave between Belvidere Street (Prudential Area) and Tremont Street (Brigham Circle). Huntington Ave inbound will carry traffic as usual, and Green Line E branch service will run as usual. Both Tremont Street and Belvidere/W.Newton Street will remain open to traffic.
Parking restriction, Huntington Ave, 9am-5pm: The Boston Police Dept has requested that for safety precautions, all cars be moved from Huntington Ave, OUTBOUND side ONLY, during this time. That includes the surface portion of Huntington Ave. outbound between Mass Ave. and Gainsborough Street.
The following streets will be closed from 11am-4pm to allow for people of all ages to safely walk, bike or roll down the
OUTBOUND side of Huntington Ave (see map): 1. Outbound side of Huntington Ave between Belvidere Street and Brigham Circle. NO PARKING. The following streets will be closed, and all cars will need to stay parked or exit AWAY from Huntington Ave:
- Palace Rd between Longwood and Huntington – This includes only the small, alley-like private way portion of Palace Road between Longwood and Huntington Ave: no exit onto Huntington). The main part of Palace Road will be unaffected.
- St. Alphonsus St between Huntington Ave. and Evans Way (a very short block, informally called Evans Way, alongside the Mass College of Art’s Tower Building). (The main part of St. Alphonsus Street (Longwood Ave to Tremont Street) will be unaffected.
- Vancouver Street- local traffic only. Need to exit to Louis Prang ‘wrong’ way.
- Museum Rd between easternmost MFA parking lot entrance and Huntington
- Forsythe Way between Hemenway and Huntington
- Fencourt Rd- a private way – the exit to Huntington will be closed
- Forsyth Street- between Hemenway and Ruggles station
- Opera Place between Huntington Ave. and the alley near 44 Opera Pl. – Local traffic only; no exit to Huntington Ave.
Streets Remaining Open for Traffic to cross Huntington Ave:
Cars and buses will be allowed to cross the route ONLY at the following intersections:
- Tremont/Francis Streets at Brigham Circle
- Ruggles St/ Louis Prang Streets
- Mass Ave
- W. Newton/Belvidere Streets
- NOTE: Traffic will NOT be able to cross Huntington Avenue at Gainsborough Street.
One-way streets that will have to allow 2-way local traffic because their Huntington Ave end is closed
- Gainsborough Street between St Stephen & Huntington
- Vancouver Street, Louis Prang to Huntington
- Green Line to remain running
- 39 Bus will end at Heath Streets, all passengers to transfer to the Green Line.
- CT2 Bus- no impact since it does not operate on Sundays
North/Eastbound traffic: The inbound side of Huntington will be open, so cars will be able to travel this direction.
South/Westbound traffic: North of Huntington Avenue, Park Drive and Brookline Avenue will be an option to travel. South of Huntington Avenue, Tremont Street and Columbus Ave will be options. Traffic will be able to cross Huntington Ave at Belvidere St, at Mass Ave, at Ruggles St and at Tremont Street.
We hope you will join us and spread the word about this exciting event! Activities planned for the day along the Open Street and in your neighborhood include fitness, dance and yoga classes, free bikes and biking/walking tours, kids art activities and games, and live music. Both of our regional soccer teams, the Breakers and the New England Revolution, will be there as well as an REI Climbing wall!
* Please contact us with questions, concerns or for more information by visiting the Circle The City webpage at www.circlethecityboston.org or calling Jessica Parsons, CTC Project Manager at 617-522-2700.