Muddy River Restoration Project
Maintenance and Management Oversight Committee
68 Harvard Street
Brookline, Massachusetts 02447
The Muddy River Restoration Project Maintenance and Management Oversight Committee (MMOC) is an independent oversight body, established by the Secretary of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs in 2002, for the Muddy River Flood Control, Water Quality and Habitat Enhancement and Historic Preservation Project (the Project). The MMOC was created to work with the Project proponents, other stakeholders and government agencies, to ensure public participation in the Project, protect the considerable public investment, and provide independent oversight of the proponents’ maintenance and management of the Project area after the completion of the Project.
The MMOC seeks a highly-motivated administrative support professional with strong organizational, communication and technical skills. Working closely with the Chair and Vice Chair of the MMOC, the Administrator will provide office coverage and administrative support to the MMOC.
The position is a half-time position (20 hours per week). Salary will be commensurate with experience. No benefits.
Work will be performed at the MMOC office in Brookline Village. The Administrator will also be expected to participate in monthly evening MMOC meetings and other subcommittee meetings that may also occur in the evening. Responsibilities will also include project site visits and some meetings, as required, at other locations.
Project Background: The Project is a joint project of the City of Boston and the Town of Brookline, working with the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs and the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. It is funded with federal, state and local money and is designed and managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The Project has five objectives: control flooding; improve water quality; restore landscape and historic resources; enhance aquatic and riparian habitat; and implement improved stormwater management throughout the Muddy River watershed. Construction on Phase 1 of the Project began in 2012. The design for Phase 2 has started recently.
- Providing general administrative support
- Providing administrative support to Chair and Vice Chair, including organizing and scheduling meetings, tours of project site and other events
- Maintaining MMOC records
- Preparing draft letters, memos, general correspondence, press releases and other communications as needed
- Coordinating responses to requests for information
- Maintaining and updating MMOC databases
- Managing social media
- Preparing drafts of mass mailings, both electronic and hard copy
- Communicating effectively with internal and external partners, consultants and others
- Preparing drafts of agendas and meeting materials for MMOC meetings, subcommittee and other meetings, and minutes of meetings
- Coordinating event planning and preparation, including MMOC annual meeting for the public and other special events
Specific Muddy River Project related Work:
- Photographing Project activity
- Documenting status of maintenance in areas where Project work has been completed
- Work on special and ongoing projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Office management and administrative experience required
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong computer/technical skills, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases and PowerPoint.